The Kiwi Living laundry room was looking a little run down and dull, so Melissa and Dion used their collective skills to create something beautiful this week.
However, it proved quite the challenge, with the space having no plumbing, less wall space for appliances, no storage and a slanted roof. But no job is too big for our dynamic DIY duo.
How to build a laundry bench top:
To create a bench and storage system to accommodate a tub, washing machine/dryer combination.
Melamine is perfect for this project as it comes pre-finished in a white gloss and also can be bought in various sizes which requires minimal cutting.
- 3x 600mm x16mmx2.4m melamine
- 1x jar 40mm sq drive zinc screws
- 40mm x 18mm pine no 1 batten 3m length
- 6x 20x20mm angle bracket
- Electric drop saw /bench saw
- Cordless drill
- Countersink drill bit plus no 2 sq drive
- Tape measure and pencil
- Using melamine panels cut 1x top and 3x end panels, end panels should be minimum 20mm higher than your washing machine.
- Space end panels with a 20mm gap either side of washing machine.
The remaining space will be 3 open shelves spaced out evenly, countersink and screw shelves in place.
- Panels are fixed to top with an angle bracket in each corner
- Top is finished with 40x 18mm trim, countersink and screw flush with top and mitre the corner. Sand sharp edges, fill and paint
How to build an overhead floating shelf and clothes rail:
- 1x 400mmx 16mmx 2.4m melamine
- 1x length pre painted aluminium closet rail 1.8m
- 60mmx 18mm no 1 pine 1.8m
- 40mmx18mm no1 pine 1m
- Zinc screws sq drive 40mm and 30mm
- Electric drop saw/bench saw
- Cordless drill
- Measuring tape and pencil
- Countersink drill and no 2 sq drive bit
- Cut shelf and 60 x 18 to width of room
- Cut 2 x pieces of 40 x18 at 400mm and screw to wall hard into corner at desired height --making sure that you screw into solid fixing
- Fit shelf on top and screw the 60 x18 to the face flush with top
- Cut aluminium closet rail and screw to the underside of shelf.
- Roller Blind:
Range: Palm Beach by Windoware
Type: Blockout Roller Blind
- Vinyl Flooring:
Range: Sunset from Irvine
Colour: Sand 597
Range: Lavmi Blue Book
Pattern Number: 131.301
- Metal door handle - paint preparation
Product: Dulux Metalshield All Surface Primer
- Aluminium joinery - paint preparation
Product: Dulux Metalshield RFU Etch Primer
- Back door, and pine shelving trim - paint preparation
Product: Dulux 1 Step Acrylic Primer Sealer Undercoat (tinted grey)
- Back door, door handle, aluminium joinery and pine shelving trim paint - top coat
Product: Dulux Aquanamel, Semi Gloss
Colour (for back door, door handle, aluminium joinery): Blackwood Bay from the Dulux Colours of New Zealand range
Colour (for pine shelving trim): Okarito from the Dulux Colours of New Zealand range