After some delicious recipes for your child's birthday party? Check out some of Mike's easy ideas below.
Bananas dipped in chocolate
- 1x bunch of bananas
- Block of chocolate (melted)
- Nuts (optional)
- Quarter the bananas, dip in melted chocolate, then roll in nuts if desired.
- Pop them into the freezer to harden.
- Serve once chocolate has set.
Pizza dough (makes 8)
- 200ml warm water
- 10g dried yeast
- 9g sugar
- 115g wholemeal flour
- 250g high grade flour
- 12g salt
- 20ml olive oil
Tomato Sauce (makes 1 cup)
- 1 small onion (finely diced)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1x 400g can whole peeled tomatoes
- Leaves from 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 tbsp. honey
- Pinch salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Place warm water in a small bowl and add yeast. Add sugar and leave to ferment for 10 minutes.
- Combine flours and salt in an electric mixer bowl.
- Add oil to fermenting yeast, then add this to flour mix. Mix with the dough hook of a processor for four minutes.
- Place dough in a clean bowl and cover with a damp, clean tea towel. Leave in a warm place until doubled in size. Knock dough back and form into eight balls. Cover and rest for 10 minutes.
- Using a rolling pin, roll balls out into pizza base and place in pizza trays or onto baking trays.
- To make the sauce: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and place over a medium heat. Simmer for 15 minutes or until reduced by about a third.
Pumpkin cupcakes (makes 8)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup plain flour
- ¼ cup wheat germ
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 free range eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups grated pumpkin
- ½ cup chopped hazelnuts
- ¼ cup raisins
- 1/c cup pumpkin seeds for decoration
- 50g coloured sprinkles or cachous for decoration
- Juice of a lemon
- 230g cream cheese, softened
- 50g butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add eggs and oil and mix until just combined.
- Fold in pumpkin, hazelnuts and raisins.
- Divide mix evenly between lightly greased cupcake moulds or muffin tins.
- Bake 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool in tin for five minutes then turn out onto wire racks.
- Beat together lemon juice, cream cheese and butter. Add vanilla paste and continue to beat until smooth.
*For the dairy free icing Mike made, he substituted cream cheese and butter for 200g Olivani.
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained
- 1 tbsp. peanut butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 3 tbsp. sunflower seeds
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp. water
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Serve in small cups, a dollop of hummus in the bottom with carrot and celery sticks stuck into it.
Popcorn Rocky Road
- 1x bap popping corn
- 200g dark cooking chocolate
- 1/c cup cranberries
- 1/c chopped almonds
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- Pop the popping corn and transfer into a large bowl.
- Add the cranberries, almonds and coconut to the popping corn.
- Melt the chocolate and mix through the popcorn mixture.
- Tip into a baking tray lined with cling film, smooth over and put into the fridge to harden.